Cancer treatment can be challenging—both mentally and physically. Gwinnett SportsRehab’s oncology rehabilitation program is designed to help you deal with cancer and cancer side effects. We provide each patient we treat with an individualized therapy program to maximize his or her day-to-day quality of life during and after cancer treatments.
What is oncology rehab?
Rehabilitation specialists, including physical and occupational therapists, will help address your physical limitations and conditions resulting from cancer treatment. These can include loss of motion, skin tightness, lymphedema, fatigue and loss of muscle strength and flexibility. Education, in-home exercise programs, energy conservation and adaptive techniques for activities of daily living are also emphasized to maximize your function and overall well-being.
Who benefits from oncology rehabilitation?
People with cancer (gynecological, breast, prostate, testicular, melanoma, head/neck and lymphoma) who are undergoing cancer-related treatments: radiation, reconstruction and/or chemotherapy.
Oncology rehab goals:
- Boost vascular circulation to decrease swelling, discomfort and infections.
- Improve energy, strength, flexibility and activity capacity.
- Increase independence in activities of daily living.
- Reduce accumulation of lymph fluid in the tissue spaces.
Rehabilitation options include:
- Comprehensive lymphedema treatment that includes:
- Patient and family education
- Graded compression bandaging
- Manual lymph drainage (MLD)
- Therapeutic exercise
- Flexitouch compression
- Hydrotrack/aquatic therapy
- Low-level laser therapy (LLLT)
- Myofascial release
- Personalized fitness programs
- Range of motion/strengthening
- Scar management
- Wound care
The STAR Program (Survivorship Training And Rehabilitation) is a nationally-recognized cancer survivorship certification that is focused on improving the lives of survivors who suffer from the side-effects caused by treatments. The STAR Program provides you with coordinated cancer rehabilitation supported by a team of specially-trained certified STAR Clinicians® and Providers.
Important: Oncology rehabilitation requires a physician referral.
For information or to make a referral to our Lawrenceville or Duluth locations, please call Gwinnett SportsRehab at 678-312-2803.