Student Orientation Requirements
Students are to follow the orientation requirement directions on this page for their placement at Gwinnett Medical Center (GMC). In general, you will complete the following:
- Process Form for Advanced Practice RNs (APN) students and Physician Assistants (PA) students only
- Clear Drug/Background Screening or Employee Verification of Employment Letter (VOE)
- Flu shot (November 1 through March 31 only)
- GMC Student LOG - filled out and signed by school faculty
- Legal Documents – student signs and another adult signs as witness
- Study materials completed
- ID Badge Form and picture (headshot)
All of the above materials are to be turned into your school faculty who will submit them to the student placement coordinator at Gwinnett Medical Center.
1. Process Form – Advanced Practice RNs (APN) students and Physician Assistants (PA)
APN students and PA students are required to complete the GMC Clinical Process Form. The student must have the supervising physician sign the form. Once the form is completed and the physician has signed it, the student returns the completed/signed form to the student placement coordinator Linda Horst, email@example.com at least 60 days prior to desired start date. Click here to print the form: Clinical Process Form.
2. Drug and Background Screening Requirements
All students are required to complete a drug and background screening and results are reviewed by the Learning Resources Department at Gwinnett Medical Center. To view details of the drug screen and background requirements click on this link: Drug Screen Background.
We accept only the following Drug and Background Vendors: Advantage Students www.advantagestudents.com, and PreCheck https://weborder.precheck.net/ClientAccess/
- We do not accept hard copies of results as we must be able to accept/reject results on line.
- The name on the vendor site needs to match the name your school will send to GMC.
- Students must have clear drug screen and background check results or the student will not be able to proceed with the student placement.
- Students who are employees of GMC do not need to do a drug and background screening if they request a Verification of Employment Letter (VOE) from Human Resources to be sent to Linda Horst firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When students change to another academic institutions program, the drug and background screening will need to be redone.
3. Flu Shot Requirments
All students will be required to provide current documented proof of influenza vaccination when on campus for their student experience during the following dates: November 1 to March 31. If you do not have documented influenza vaccination, you are required to wear a mask when on campus during this time period.
4. GMC Student LOG
The Student LOG is to be completely filled out and sign by the school faculty/school designee. The LOG validates that the orientation materials have all been completed.
Return the Student LOG along with the Course Syllabus; and Legal Documentation Requirements and ID Badge information noted below. The school is to keep the Orientation Study Materials on file for random auditing by GMC. Click the link to print the Student Log.
Orientation Study Materials
All students complete the following Orientation Study materials, however only Nursing Students will complete the National Patient Safety Goals materials.
NOTE: Students who are employees of Gwinnett Medical Center do not need to do the following orientation requirements if they request a Verification of Employment (VOE) Letter from Human Resources be sent to Linda Horst in Learning Resources.
Click on the title of the document to open the link and proceed as directed:
All NURSING Students Complete
5. Legal Documentation Requirements
All students need to submit one set of the legal documents below.
Select the documents appropriate for your school, either Georgia Board of Regents or Non-Georgia Board of Regents. For a listing of Georgia Board of Regents Schools visit this website: http://www.usg.edu/legal/docs/borgha_exhibit_b.pdf.
If your school is not a Georgia Board of Regents school use the Non-Georgia Board of Regents forms.
Georgia Board of Regent Universities and College Students:
NON-Georgia Board of Regents Universities and College Students:
6. GMC ID Badges
- All students must wear a picture ID badge in addition to their school ID badge. Badges are to be worn above the waist. Complete this ID Badge form. Complete blank columns A through thru I on and under the “Title” column type Student.
- You will also need to provide a picture of yourself, preferably saved as a JPEG file (headshot, in color, on plain background) or arrange a time with the GMC Security Department to have your picture taken.*
- The badge will allow you to park at Gwinnett Medical Center in the employee parking lot for free. (We ask you not park in the Visitor Parking lots to allow for space for our patients and their families. The cost for parking in visitor parking is $3 per day.)
- The cost for a student badge is $10.00 and $5 is refundable upon returning the badge. The cost to replace any lost badge is $25.
*Before coming to have a picture taken or to pick up badges contact the Security Department by calling 678-312-4057 or emailing Matt Shafer email@example.com. The Security Department is located in the Lawrenceville Emergency Room and open for badge pickup during the hours of Monday–Thursday: 7:30 a.m.–4 p.m. or Friday: 7:30 a.m.–1 p.m.