Shadowing/Observation experiences are offered at Gwinnett Medical Center. All of the following steps must be completed for approval by Learning Resources. The shadower/observer is responsible for all steps below through to completion.
- All shadowers/observers must be at least 18 years of age to shadow.
- The shadowing/observation period is limited to 1 to 2 days per 12-month period.
- The shadower/observer must locate an associate, physician or midlevel provider to shadow in the hospital setting.
- Shadowing/observation must be approved by the Learning Resources Department.
- Allow at least 10 business days to complete the shadowing application process.
- Once approved, the shadower must wear the shadower/observer badge at all times while on campus.
- The shadower will not have any hands-on patient care or other hands-on activity.
Step 1: Complete Shadowing Application Forms and read all PDFs.
Within 7 business days, Learning Resources will process the shadowing application and send an email of receipt and the details of Step 2 to the applicant.
Step 2: Applicant Request Approval from Associate, Physician or Midlevel Provider
- The shadower/observer must communicate to both the associate, physician or midlevel provider being shadowed and the associate’s, physician’s or midlevel’s supervisor that they both must email the following information to Learning Resources:
- Location/department of shadowing
- Department Supervisor Approval
- Shadower and Associate, Physician or Midlevel Provider names
- Dates (1 or 2 days), times and hours of shadowing
Please allow 3 business days from the date of email for Learning Resources to process the request and send an email detailing Step 3 to the applicant and all contacts.
Step 3: Approval or Denial by Learning Resources
Upon receipt of all required documents and permissions listed in Steps 1 and 2, Learning Resources will communicate by email approval or denial.
- Pickup Shadowing/Observer Badge and wear it at all times during shadowing.
Observer Badges are to be picked up during normal weekday business hours 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., prior to the shadowing experiences in the Learning Resources Department, 100 Medical Center Blvd., Building 100, Suite, 115 at Gwinnett Medical Center-Lawrenceville. The Learning Resources Department is often closed on federally recognized holidays. Please plan accordingly. Click here for directions to the Learning Resources Department.
- Dress in business casual attire or wear attire as designated by the procedural area along with supportive shoes.
- Confirm with the associate and supervisor when and where to arrive for the shadowing experience.
- The process terminates and the shadowing/observation will not occur.
- If the shadowing/observation date needs to be changed, email the associate, physician or midlevel provider and Learning Resources immediately. This will maintain an opportunity to shadow again in the future. Changing the date can take up to 5 business days to process.
- If the shadower/observer does not communicate with the associate, physician or midlevel provider and Learning Resources, and he/she does not show up on the scheduled date, future shadowing experiences will not be approved.
- If all application steps are not completed within 30 days of the application submission, the process will be terminated. The applicant will need to re-apply.