Meet the Director
Welcome to the Internal Medicine Residency Program at Gwinnett Medical Center, one of the largest hospital systems in metro Atlanta. Choosing a residency program is a major decision for you and your family. You need a place where you can get excellent medical training, a community you want to live in, and people you want to work with. Gwinnett Medical Center’s Internal Medicine Residency program offers that, and so much more.
The IM residency program is dually accredited through the ACGME and AOA. We accept applications for both the AOA and ACGME accredited tracks through ERAS each year and participate in the NMS and NRMP matches.
Here are a few reasons to consider GMC:
- Innovative curricula such as simulation, skills development, leadership development, and patient safety and quality improvement
- Inpatient experiences uninterrupted by continuity clinic
- Continuity clinic in a new, state-of-the-art practice devoted to resident ambulatory education
- Technological tools such as iPads and high fidelity patient simulators to enhance learning and procedural skills
- Diverse patient population -- Gwinnett County has one of the most diverse counties in the nation; foreign born citizens make up 25 percent of its population and most minority populations are over-represented in Gwinnett County compared to Georgia as a whole
- Large patient pool -- Gwinnett County has a population of more than 850,000, making it one of the fastest growing counties nationwide over the past twenty years and the second most populous county in Georgia
- A hospital system with a commitment to transforming healthcare -- GMC is an award winning health care network, recognized for quality, patient safety and clinical care year after year
We are training the next generation of internists here at Gwinnett Medical Center and look forward to making you one of them.
Kimberly Bates, MD, FACP, FAAP